BE PART OF THE CHANGE
With joy, vitality, and purpose, we can combat the debilitating wave of burnout plaguing our physicians. The Physician Vitality Institute helps physicians who are stressed, burned out or having difficulties at work. We want to help them achieve the life they want to have, and become the best physicians they can be. The Physician Vitality Institute uses one-on-one coaching and workshops based on the Physician Vitality Recovery System developed by founder, Dianne Ansari-Winn, MD.
Bridging the Gap from Physician Burnout to Physician Vitality
“The rising tide of burnout, coupled with its effects on quality of care and access, make burnout a major threat to the health care delivery system,” Tait Shanafelt, MD, Chief Wellness Officer, Stanford University.
In 2011, 45% of U.S. physicians had at least one symptom of professional burnout, according to a study from the Department of Medicine Program on Physician Well-Being at Mayo Clinic. That number rose to 54% in 2014.
Does Your Organization Have A Physician Well-Being Gap?
Doctors That Are “Hard To Work With”
- Physicians suffering from stress and burnout can be hard to work with and work around. Through their negative behavior, these difficult doctors can create chaos and stress for their teams and colleagues, leading to complaints from staff and having staff avoid them or leave. Physicians suffering from stress and burnout can also create a culture of negativity around them, thus perpetuating the cycle of stress and burnout. *Critical Care 2016; 20(1):110.
Physicians Leaving Your Practice
- Physician burnout leads to physicians leaving practice or cutting back on their work hours. Burnout and dissatisfaction with work-life balance have been reported as the strongest predictors of intent to reduce clinical work hours or leave their current position. *J Clin Oncol 2014; 32(11): 1127-1135.
- It has been reported that it can cost an organization 500,000 to 1 million dollars to replace a doctor who has left a practice. In addition, when a doctor leaves a practice it’s much more likely that their team leaves as well, creating a ripple effect in the organization. *JAMA Int Med 2017; 177 (12): 1826-1832. In addition, when a physician leaves, their patients can leave as well further affecting your bottom line.
- Physicians who are suffering from burnout often cut back on their work or take more time off to try to rejuvenate themselves. Burnout is associated with decreased productivity–inability to work, number of sick days, intent to leave practice or change jobs. *Mayo Clin Proc 2016;91(4): 422-431.
Sub-optimal patient care
- Doctors who are burned out do not take care of patients as well. 53% of burned out internal medicine residents self-reported suboptimal care of patients as compared to 21% of non burned out residents.*Ann Intern Med. 2002 Mar 5;136(5):358-67.
- Emergency room physicians and residents who had high burnout scores were more likely to report acts of suboptimal care. *West J Emerg Med. 2015 Dec;16(7):996-1001.
What the Physician Vitality Institute Can Do For Your Organization
When physicians have greater well-being, they are better doctors. Physician well-being is associated positively with patient satisfaction, patient adherence to treatment, and interpersonal aspects of patient care. Int J Behav Med 2015; 22(6): 683-698
Doctors With The Energy And Capacity To Give Their Best
- We help doctors to rejuvenate themselves, create balance, and create vitality through a system that works.
Physician Retention And Improved Physician Engagement
- We work with you and your doctors to create solutions to create a supportive work environment to help relieve stress and burnout.
Improved Patient Safety, Patient Satisfaction And Quality Of Care
- We help your doctors rejuvenate so they can give more to their patients. In addition, we work with doctors and their leaders to create win-win environments for positive patient care.
A Positive Work Environment For All
- We teach effective leadership and communication strategies to promote teamwork and a positive work environment for doctors and staff.
The Physician Vitality Institute Was Founded To Help Physicians Succeed.
When doctors are at their best, we all win.
Here at the Physician Vitality Institute, we help doctors to heal the world.
We know that when doctors have joy, vitality, and purpose in their lives, they are better doctors and they do not suffer from physician burnout.
The Physician Vitality Institute was founded to help physicians be their healthiest and best not only for themselves and for their patients, but for the teams they work with, their organizations and for the people they love.
Case Study #1: From “Hard to Work With” to Physician Leader
A medical director of a busy family practice clinic was referred to the Physician Vitality Institute by their organization after the office manager of his clinic left to go to another clinic because she “couldn’t work with” him any longer.
The medical director often expressed his impatience and frustration with the staff, creating a challenging work environment for them. The medical director was also micromanaging and taking over work from the nurses and medical assistants, thereby disrupting workflow and undermining confidence.
We addressed these issues with the medical director holistically by teaching and practicing communication and stress management strategies, combined with promoting their ability as a physician leader by rekindling and positively directing the medical director’s passion around their mission and vision for their clinic, which was to provide quality health care.
Within a few coaching sessions using our Physician Vitality Recovery System, there was a significant improvement in the medical director’s behavior, and an increase in positive interactions and improved engagement with their staff. The medical director had a greater feeling of satisfaction with their own practice of medicine, and found that they now had the capacity to positively affect the practice to help reduce wait times and improve patient care, which is what they cited was one of their greatest sources of frustration.
Case study #2: From Off Balance and Stressed to Committed and Centered
In this case, our client referred themselves to the Physician Vitality Institute after eight years of practicing surgery in a busy surgical practice.
They were feeling the stresses of a lack of work-life balance which were showing up as challenges at work and at home, and they were starting to consider leaving medicine.
Using our Physician Vitality Recovery System, we helped our client reconnect to their love of medicine and a plan for personal and professional rejuvenation, which led to greater satisfaction and contribution at work and at home, and a renewed excitement and commitment to their surgery practice.
PHYSICIAN VITALITY RECOVERY SYSTEM
Physician Vitality Recovery System
This 5-step system aims to help physicians regain balance, vitality and energy in every aspect of their lives.
Through one-on-one coaching meetings with personalized homework, accountability assignments, reading and support as needed, The Physician Vitality Recovery System achieves results. It is a perfect fit for those physicians who are committed to change in their lives and wish to receive effective, personalized, goal-oriented coaching.